We challenge YOU to sink your teeth into the Shippensburg Corn Festival’s 2020 Corn Eating Contest.
The contest will take place at the Main Stage in the King Street/ Earl Street square around the middle of the Mid Life Cowboys’ 11:45 – 1:15 performance. Contestants may sign up until about 11 a.m. – but seating is limited at the contestants’ table, so sign up early to ensure a spot.
Winners get fame, prestige, cash prizes, photos with local royalty, and all the corn they can eat in three minutes. Losers also get all the corn they can eat in three minutes.
Corn Eating Contest Rules
- Participants must be 16 years or older to compete and will be chosen on a first-come, first served basis. Space is limited to 10 contestants.
- Salt and water will be available to all contestants.
- Participants will eat as many ears of corn on the cob as they are able in the allotted time of 3 minutes.
- When time is up, any food that is already in a contestant’s mouth will count if they swallow it within 30 seconds.
- To be considered completely eaten the participant must have consumed (this includes swallowing of the kernels) at least 90% of the corn on the cob. Judges will be assigned to determine if ears are being eaten to completion.
- Any contestant that cannot stomach the food they have eaten will be disqualified.
- In the event of a tie, a one and half minute “eat-off” will take place. Rules above apply to the “eat-off” as well.
- All rules and decisions are at the contest organizer’s discretion. All decisions made by the contest organizer are final.
1st Place: Plaque and $50.00
2nd Place: $35.00
3rd Place: $15.00
Top chomper Bryan Rottkamp, center, displays the winner’s plaque for the 2019 corn eating contest. John Sumuski, left, took second place this year and Matt Engel, right, won the third place prize in a 30-second tiebreaker.
Sumuski, of Shippensburg, ate 12 ears in the time allotted. He took the top prize in 2017. Engel, of Carlisle, and last year’s champion, Trevor Woolwine of Shippensburg, ate their way to a tie for third place with 11 ears each, with Engel taking the lead by eating four more ears in a 30-second eat-off.
Check out ALL the action here: